“You look like you are ready ANY day now!” said everyone.
At 37 weeks, I Fully Agree.
I kind of hope that makes them realize they were rude and that they will keep their mouths shut the next time they see a pregnant woman.
My 2 ½ year old is also very observant. He recently said, “Mommy you have a big belly.” It was sooooo cute when he said it. But I really hope he doesn’t tell anyone else that they have a big belly! I would be mortified!
As it turns out, everyone who has said that I look big is… right.
My doctor has measured me a couple weeks ahead and our ultrasound at 35 weeks showed baby in the 97th percentile for his size.
I am preparing for a big baby. We will just go ahead and skip the newborn size. And I’m thinking Ouch! So my epidural better work as well as it did last time!
I’m guessing at this point in pregnancy most mommies feel like I do…
You are waddling like a penguin, rushing to the bathroom a zillion times a day to pee and struggling to put your own boots on. And dare I mention keeping up on certain personal grooming now involves a mirror and a new level of acrobatic skill.
You are praying for a healthy, full-term baby and a smooth delivery. But you feel ginormous and cannot wait to get this baby out!
So what’s a momma to do?
Try to keep yourself comfortable while you wait for the arrival of your little or not so little, sweet bundle of joy!
Here is my list of necessities to keep momma comfy during pregnancy:
(These items are for anytime during your pregnancy, but the further along you are, the more you might appreciate the comfort!)
- Stretch pants. Multiple pairs. I LOVE the ones with the over the belly band which gives you more support. They are all I wear now because my maternity jeans have gotten so uncomfortable. You seriously NEED them. Put them on as soon as you get a little bump.
- Long maternity tank tops. Get the basic black and white tanks plus a couple fun colors. I love the microfiber tanks with side ruching. They go under most shirts and help give your baby belly a smooth shape.
- New undergarments. The gals are going to get bigger, so at some point you will need to go bra shopping. And comfy undies are a must too. I love the Lace Trim Hipster from Victoria’s Secret. This style has a lace band at the top, which is forgiving as your hips expand during pregnancy.
- Comfy shoes. Wear tennis shoes or comfy flats if you go walking at the mall or grocery store. Your back will thank you later!
- Water bottle. Keep your water cup refilled all day long. It is so important to hydrate when you are pregnant. I am obsessed with my Tervis cup. It goes everywhere with me.
- Snacks. A healthy snack in-between meals helps to keep you feeling good. But occasionally I answer to the Oreos, cupcakes or Doritos that are screaming my name!
- Tums. A must for the medicine cabinet. I had no idea what heartburn was until I got pregnant. But of course check with your doctor before taking any medication.
- Pillows. A pillow placed between your legs and under your belly really helps support your baby bump and hips. I flip from side to side all night long, but the extra pillow keeps me comfy a little longer between flips!
This is pretty simple stuff to keep a pregnant woman happy and a little more comfortable. I keep reminding myself that pregnancy does not last forever, but I am ready any day now!
What items do you consider necessities for a more comfortable pregnancy experience?
What’s the most unbelievable comment a stranger has made to you about the size of your pregnant belly? Please Share!
And be sure to check out another post in our New Mom Confidential series: Post-Delivery Must-Haves.