Updated: April 12, 2023
Want to be a hop away from Iowa City (9 miles) and a skip to Cedar Rapids (19 miles) but still live in a super happening place? This once small town has become so popular they had to conduct their own special census in 2015. What was once a bump off the interstate now has two exits off of I-380. What is this oasis we’re referring to? North Liberty!
New to town or considering North Liberty? We asked local moms to tell us their favorites about this fun town and have compiled them here.
- City of North Liberty Website
- Map of North Liberty Neighborhoods
- North Liberty Television
- North Liberty Nextdoor App
- Request to join “North Liberty Mamas” secret Facebook page
North Liberty doesn’t have its own school district. It’s split between Clear Creek Amana (CCA) and Iowa City Community School District (ICCSD). The dividing line between the two is Jones Boulevard.
Iowa City Community School District
- Penn Elementary
- Garner Elementary
- Van Allen Elementary
- Grant Elementary School
- North Central Junior High
- Liberty High School
- Wickham Elementary School
Clear Creek Amana
Child Care Centers and Preschools
North Liberty has a number of amazing in-home daycare providers, as well as several high-quality child-care centers.
- Corridor Christian Early Learning Center
- Frog Hollow
- Lion Heart
- The Learning Grove Academy
- Creation Kids Childcare Center
- North Liberty Community Preschool
- Montessori Children’s Garden
- La Montessori Nurtury
Places to Eat
You will find many places to grab a cup of coffee, happy hour drink, treat, or taco in North Liberty. Below is a list of local favorites:
- Red’s Ale House: flatbread pizzas, a great outdoor patio area, and 2-for-1 happy hour drinks
- Dairy Queen
- Pizza Ranch: includes a FunZone arcade!
Capanna Coffee & Gelato: a cozy place to warm up with a good drink or cool down with a yummy treat
- Heyn’s Ice Cream
- Bluebird Cafe: all-day breakfast!
- J&A Tap: local dive bar that is known for its senior specials and karaoke
- Mirabitos: great Italian food with good service
- Tin Roost: huge outdoor patio with heaters and live music during the summer months
- Casey’s: gas station is known for its pizza
- Bobber’s: outdoor volleyball and live music all right on “the Res,” AKA Coralville reservoir!
- Pizza Plus: try the breadsticks!
- Java House
- Wig and Pen: Great pizza!
- Marco’s Pizza: sign up for their app for coupons!
- Mosely’s BBQ
- Rusciano’s: Awesome authentic Napoli cooking
- SugarPeach: Old-fashioned, fast-casual southern cooking. Yum!
- Copper Boar
- Ándale Cantina
- China Garden
Heyn’s Ice Cream is a great place to cool down after a day of ball games!
The City of North Liberty has put together a great listing of all the local parks and trails. It features things like restrooms, picnic tables, size, drinking fountains, etc.
One favorite park is Penn Meadows which features a splash pad and is home to many ball diamonds. Another favorite is Centennial Park, which has two awesome play structures, an adventure playground portion with climbing boulders, and a well-paved trail around the perimeter.
Good to know
- Fareway: is a local grocery store that is closed on Sundays. They are known for their meat counter and runners help you take your groceries to your car (super nice if you are pregnant or have your kids in tow).
- North Liberty Community Pantry
- North Liberty Summer Lunch Program
- Hy-Vee Car Washes: $7 Any Car Wash Sunday & Wednesday. Tip: you can get the code and use it any day of the week.
- Next Level Extreme Fitness: amazing workout, plus they offer free childcare!
- North Liberty Community Gardens: rentable plots to grow your own harvest, teach the kids young about fruits and vegetables.
- North Liberty Blues & BBQ
- Ace Hardware– Working on a home improvement project and need a part? Save a trip into town by heading here.
North Liberty is home to many different faith denominations. Again, the City has done an excellent job of listing all the area churches with service times. Hopefully you can find a faith community that fits you and your family!
- Vintage Soul Boutique
- LaLa Boutique
- Sugar Bottom Bikes
- Forever Green Nursery
- Mix Home Mercantile
- Leash on Life: pet supplies
- We Run: specialty running store, they also do sports bra fitting!
- Heart to Heart Bridal
Fun Stuff To Do
- Debut Dance Studio
- Champagne Academy of Irish Dance
- North Liberty Rec Center: swimming, & kids play area
- North Liberty Library
- North Liberty Farmer’s Market
- Quail Creek Golf Course
- Colony Country Pumpkin Patch
- Synergy Gymnastics
- Diventures Scuba and Swim Center
- Inspire Athletics: cheer and tumbling
- Anderson ATA Taekwondo
- Brown’s School of Martial Arts
- Big Picture Gallery and Studio: art classes for all ages!
- UIHC Quick Care
- Mercy Urgent Care
- Physicians Clinic of Iowa – North Liberty
- North Liberty Family Health Center: independent family practice
- North Liberty Pharmacy
- Blink Vision
- GreenState Credit Union
- Hills Bank
- Collins Community Credit Union
- Great Western Bank
- MidWestOne Bank
North Liberty is also getting two new breweries/restaurants and a bowling alley/entertainment center! Stay tuned!
Clearly, this community has a lot to offer. The city continues to grow and attracts many new, fun, exciting, and kid-friendly activities and businesses all the time! Come check out this local hot spot so many love to call home.
What is your favorite thing about North Liberty?
Check out more neighborhoods and suburbs in the Iowa City area!
ABOUT THE BAILS TEAM: URBAN ACRES REAL ESTATE
Hiring the Bails Team at Urban Acres Real Estate means you’ll have access to the real estate expertise you need anytime, anywhere. This real estate team includes Mike Bails, Phil O’Brien, Marcy Willier, Chelsey Riggan, Briley DeSmet, and Matt VandeBerg. Together, they have over 50 years of combined experience and a deep understanding of the entire residential and commercial real estate picture in the Iowa City area – it’s what they like to call a panoramic view of real estate.
If you are ready to buy or sell, give them a call today and tell them ICM sent you!