As moms, we almost always have our kids in mind when making decisions. What kind of snacks should we buy? What type of mattress should they sleep on? Which sunscreen is the best?
But, how about at the gas pump? As we’re filling up the tanks of our minivans, are we thinking about what’s going into them? Are we thinking about how that fuel is going to affect the environment, and how that will change the world our little ones are growing up in?
If you answered no to the above, you’re not alone. Thankfully, the Iowa Renewable Fuels Association is here to help! For the month of October, breast cancer awareness month, the IRFA is going “Pink At The Pump™”, and for every gallon of E15 (the pink nozzle) purchased this month, participating retailers will be donating 3 cents to National Breast Cancer Foundation AND The Hormel Institute. That is amazing, isn’t it?? So when you’re filling up your tank, consider choosing the pink nozzle, not only for the environment, but to contribute to an amazing, amazing cause for women across this country.
To learn more about the details, you can visit www.IowaRFA.org/PinkatthePump, and check out this awesome list of reasons to always use E15 in your vehicles, not just this month!
:Top 15 Reasons to Use E15:
- You’re Approved! E15 is approved by the Environmental Protection Agency for use by all 2001 and newer passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks.
- Cost Savings: E15 is typically priced 5 – 10 cents less per gallon than E10. Using E15 could save U.S. drivers up to $72 million by the end of this year.
- Higher Performance: With an 88 octane rating, not only does E15 cost less but it improves the performance of the vehicle.
- Reduces Cancer-Causing Chemicals: Ethanol is the cheapest and cleanest source of fuel octane in the world. More ethanol means less petroleum-based cancer-causing chemicals in the air.
- Same Mileage: E15 provides the same gas mileage as E10, the most widely-available fuel choice in the country.
- Reduces Greenhouse Gas Emissions: Ethanol also reduces the amount of greenhouse gases in the air. Each year global ethanol use and production reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 110 million metric tons, the equivalent of taking 20 million cars off the road.
- Protects Iowa’s Water: When petroleum spills happen, it wreaks havoc on the environment – killing fish and other animals and polluting water. More ethanol use means less risk of oil spills. Ethanol, on the other hand, is biodegradable.
- Auto Manufacturers Endorse It: More than 80% of 2017 model vehicles clearly list E15 as an approved fuel in owner’s manuals.
- Energy Security: Since 2005 U.S. dependence on foreign oil has dropped from 60 percent to only 25 percent. In 2016, ethanol displaced gasoline refined from 540 million barrels of crude oil.
- Feeding the World: Iowa ethanol plants are fueling and feeding the world. One-third of every corn bushel an ethanol plant processes is converted into high-protein animal feed called distillers grains. In 2016 an estimated 42 million metric tons of distillers grains were produced, exceeding U.S. soybean meal production.
- Supporting Rural America: Iowa’s renewable fuels industry is creating high-paying, green-collar jobs in rural America – breathing life back into Iowa’s small towns.
- Tested and Tried: E15 is the most widely tested fuel in history. Over 1 billion miles have already been driven on E15 without a single reported issue.
- Growing Availability and Use:G Here in Iowa, E15 sales increased 193 percent in 2016 over 2015. Today nearly 900 retail stations across 29 states offer E15. To find a station near you, go to IowaRFA.org.
- Farm Income: Increased ethanol use is the best way to quickly stimulate corn demand and stabilize prices.
- It’s a Winning Fuel: Since 2011, NASCAR drivers have raced more than 10 million miles around the track on clean, green E15.
So, there you have it, mama friends! If your little ones are on your mind when you’re at the pump (which I can almost guarantee they will be!), consider picking up the PINK nozzle, especially during the month of October!
This is a Sponsored Post. ICMB is proud to partner with the Iowa Renewable Fuels Association in their efforts to support breast cancer awareness and to help moms and women across Iowa and the U.S.!