Fall has arrived, and if you’re a mom in the Iowa City area you have likely either visited the apple orchard or you’re making plans to visit soon. Every year we go and I think about what new apple recipes I can try out, but I always make sure I leave a few apples for my absolute favorite apple crisp.
I’ve always loved apple crisp, but this recipe has a few extra of my favorite things, including vanilla bean, almonds, and a high crisp-to-apple ratio!
Almond Vanilla Bean Apple Crisp
(Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen)
For the topping:
1 cup almond flour (you can use all purpose)
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup dark brown sugar
½ cup sliced almonds
1 stick unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
For the filling:
1 stick unsalted butter
1 tbsp vanilla bean paste (or 1 vanilla bean or 1 tbsp vanilla extract)
5-6 apples thinly sliced
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make the topping: Add flour, oats, brown sugar, and sliced almonds into a large bowl until combined. Add in butter into ingredients until mixture is crumbly (This step is not shown in the video attached.)
- Set topping aside and slice apples very thinly. I like to leave the skin on, but you can remove the skin if you prefer.
- In a large bowl, add the sliced apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla bean paste. Set aside while you brown the butter.
- In a small saucepan, put 1 stick of butter over medium heat. After a couple of minutes the butter will begin to crackle and foam. As the butter begins to brown it will develop a nutty flavor. Whisk until it is a light brown color and then remove from heat.
- Add brown butter to the apple filling mixture and mix to combine.
- Add about 1/3 of the topping mixture into the filling, and stir to combine.
- Fill an 8×8 pan with filling mixture and sprinkle with topping (it will look like A LOT of topping and that’s okay!)
- Bake for 55 minutes or until the top is golden brown and cooked through.
You can find my favorite salted caramel sauce recipe here for the full experience!