On Saturday, June 20, 2020, children and families from all over Johnson County are invited to participate in a day of action to learn about racial justice and participate in a peaceful protest. Community leaders, librarians, and parents have collaborated together to provide a safe, meaningful community event for children preK-8th grade and their families.
This event, the Johnson County Kids Day of Action: Voices of Peace, was created with the following objectives:
- Educate families on having difficult conversations about racial injustice.
- Give children a safe platform for speaking out and participating in the protests.
- Let our community know that these harms and losses are real, felt, and mourned.
- Take concrete steps to work for change.
Locations and Times
Three separate but identical events are planned, so families are encouraged to attend whichever one works best for you.
- North Liberty (9 a.m. at Penn Meadows Park) | Facebook Event Page
- Coralville (11 a.m. at S.T. Morrison Park) | Facebook Event Page
- Iowa City (1 p.m. at Mercer Park) | Facebook Event Page
Opening and Moment of Silence: Take time to think about why we gather and remember the lives affected most by injustice and racism.
Student speeches: Hear from our young people, listen to their stories, and be inspired to work for change!
Read Aloud: Listen to a story read by one of our local librarians.
Panel: Local community leaders and experts will be available to answer your questions.
Stations: Take action! Create your own message of peace and justice and share it with the community! Chalk the Walk, Sign Making, and Painting will be available.
March: We will walk around the park, carrying our signs and participating in group chants.
COVID-19 Precautions and Other Details
- All attendees are asked to wear masks. There will be a limited supply available, but please bring your own if possible.
- We will be practicing social distancing, so please give space to those around you.
- Every family will receive their own bag of materials to encourage social distancing.
- Pre-packaged snacks and water will be available.
- Giveaways! There will be a limited supply of inclusive children’s books available for families.
The Johnson County Kids Day of Action is a great opportunity to invite your children to participate meaningfully in a peaceful protest and be part of this historical movement to work towards justice for Black, Indigenous, and People of Color. Invite your friends and neighbors, and we look forward to seeing you on Saturday!