Special thanks to our partners at Diventures for sharing their expertise and giving us a great list of tips to keep our kids safe in the water this summer, and moving forward.
Summer is in full swing, and let’s be honest: I don’t think ANYONE could have predicted what our summer would look like. Thankfully, Diventures’ wide variety of swim programs coupled with their passion for water safety and fun can help get you and your family ready for the pool, lake or beach. They have also taken various measures to ensure that their swim and scuba lessons are meeting all safety and health guidelines in the time of Covid-19.
Help Kids Learn Safety & Confidence In The Water
In order to avoid accidents, caution needs to be practiced around water – whether in nature or at the pool. Here are some reminders from Diventures to keep you and your kids safe near the water this summer:
- Start swim lessons at an early age to take the fear away and let the fun begin! The American Academy of Pediatrics recently updated their recommendation for starting swim lessons as the age of 1. Diventures offers swim classes weekly for ages 6 months and up: https://www.diventures.com/infant-swim-lessons/
- Don’t rely on floaties or foam toys for safety. These can create a false sense of safety for both the parent and child. They can slip off or place the child in a horizontal position while in the water instead of vertical. If you would like some extra precaution while supervising your kids at the pool or beach, have your child wear a properly-fitted Coast Guard-approved life jacket. They should always wear one while at the dock or boating at the lake.
- Stay close and be alert near the pool, beach or lake. Small children should always be within arm’s reach, and never leave a child unattended near water – this includes the small kiddie pools in the backyard and any water in the home such as the bathtub.
- Teach your kids the rules of the pool. No running or pushing. No swimming without an adult. No food or drink in the pool.
- For new swimmers, spend time poolside watching others before getting in. This allows kids to get comfortable with the water and the environment.
- At the lake or beach, take the first few minutes to survey the surroundings. Teach kids to look at how rough or calm the water is, what the weather is like, how busy it is and whether or not a lifeguard in nearby. This helps develop good safety habits that they’ll carry with them as they grow.
- Summertime is a great time for lazy days at the pool and outdoor celebrations! Be sure to assign an adult to watch children during summer gatherings at or near pools. Make sure that any adult in charge knows these safety rules as well.
- Don’t forget to always swim with a buddy. It’s best for swimmers of all ages, even adults.
Safe Swimming & Water Activities At Diventures
At Diventures, safety is the #1 priority and fun in the water in the #1 goal. They offer plenty of water activities for kids of all ages at a variety of times and schedules to help teach them about water safety, improve their individual skills and get them comfortable and confident in the water.
Certified swim teachers provide swim lessons and water activities for all ages starting at 6 months. With a focus on individual swim goals and achievements, swimmers get the skills they need for advancement. BONUS: they keep both the air and water temperature between 88-90 degrees – keeping kids comfortable both in and out of the water.
Diventures offers a complimentary swim trial lesson, providing one-on-one time with an instructor. This allows their staff to get an assessment of your child’s swim skill level so that they can be placed in the right class and gives parents an opportunity to ask questions.
Diventures is also the premier place for all things scuba. Whether you want to get certified, brush up on your diving skills, book a trip or get your gear – they have something for everyone. They even offer scuba classes for kids as young as 8 years old. If you want to try diving before committing to certification, their Try Scuba class is a perfect introduction to the underwater world, and you can expect the best scuba training from highly educated instructors.
Covid-19 Health & Safety Precautions
As always, the safety and well-being of customers and staff is the number one priority at Diventures. They have completely redesigned their swim and scuba programs to meet all safety and health guidelines. Some of the enhanced processes include:
- Maintaining a physical distance of 6 feet between family groups and staff
- Limiting swim family groups to one parent and one student
- Disinfecting all equipment after each use and frequently disinfecting all commonly touched areas.
All staff will have their temperature checked and be screened for any symptoms and they are also asking customers to self-screen for symptoms and risk factors as well.
Diventures staff sanitizes their pool water using sand filters and chlorination. Additionally, the pool water is filtered every 4 hours using UV filters.
For more information about the measures being taken during the Covid-19 pandemic, please visit the Diventures website. They can also be reached by phone at 319.665.2741.
Diventures is the nation’s largest and fastest-growing swim and scuba center with five locations across four states. Diventures provides concierge-level customer service, offers state-of-the-art facilities, and teaches with best-in-class curriculum, training, and equipment. Diventures is committed to safety and fun in the water, as well as giving back to support our local and global communities. Visit Diventures.com for more information.