I consider myself a casual yogi — that is I’ve been doing yoga off and on for the last thirteen years or so. Sometimes, I’ve managed a pretty regular practice, other times I’ve done yoga whenever the mood strikes.
Thanks to COVID-19, I’ve discovered ways to do yoga, pretty literally, everywhere!
Here are my suggestions for yoga practicing opportunities in the Iowa City area and beyond.
Yoga via YouTube
Type yoga into the YouTube search bar and you will come up with thousands upon thousands of videos. Over the last five or so years I’ve come to know and love two channels:
- Sarah Beth Yoga: Great for quick, sweaty workouts. I especially love her 15 – 30 minute morning yoga workouts.
- Yoga with Adriene: IMO, the gold standard of YouTube yoga. I especially love her monthly challenges.
Yoga Offered in the Iowa City area (via Zoom and in person)
I’ve personally taken yoga Zoom classes from three local yoga studios in the past year. I’d happily recommend them all.
- Downward Dog Yoga
- Erin Landsee Yoga: My sister and I share a family subscription for the Sunday Night Self-Care Series.
- Heartland Yoga
- Hothouse Yoga: Love! I’ve never practiced in studio, but I’ve loved the Zoom classes. Some classes are virtual, some are in person so be sure to read the schedule!
- Muddy Feet Yoga: My regular yoga studio. I haven’t actually been in the studio in nearly a year, but they run all yoga classes in person and on zoom. Fun fact, they’re also Best of CRANDIC winners two years running, 2019 best fitness instructor winner, and 2020 best yoga studio winner.
- Serenity Yoga and Pilates Studio
Before I was brave enough to practice yoga in studio, I started practicing with people at outdoor, community classes. They served as a great bridge from YouTube Yoga to In Studio Yoga.
- In the past, the Downtown Iowa City District has offered free yoga May – October. Keep an eye out for dates in 2021.
- Backpocket Brewery has also offered outdoor yoga classes. Dates for 2021 have not been announced yet, but keep checking their events calendar if you’re interested!
Where do you like to do yoga in the Iowa City area?
Related: you can practi