Is your child struggling this school year? Here are a few low-barrier opportunities for tutoring and homework help in the Iowa City area:
Tutoring and Homework Help in the Iowa City Area
Free Tutoring at the Iowa City Public Library for K-6 Students
Mondays and Wednesdays, 4-6 p.m. in the Children’s Room
No registration required; just drop in for a 20-minute session (can stay longer if no one else is waiting) with a preservice teacher from the University of Iowa Elementary Education program. These soon-to-be teachers know the “new math” and are waiting to help your child so you don’t have to! Have your child bring homework. Another option is for your child to grab a book and practice reading aloud with the tutor — research shows reading practice outside of school is beneficial for developing reading skills.
BrainFuse HelpNow (online resource)
BrainFuse HelpNow is a unique tutoring, homework help, and studying suite designed to assist patrons of all ages succeed.
HelpNow features include:
- Live on-demand tutoring with multiple languages supported (tutors are available every day from 2-11 p.m.)
- Online writing lab that can connect with live writing experts
- Foreign Language Center with a powerful vocabulary builder
- 24/7 Question Center providing explanations of concepts, not answers
- Adult Learning Center to meet the unique needs of adult learners
- SkillSurfer Learning Library with unlimited access to self-paced learning through lessons, video tutorials, and practice tests on a wide range of subjects
- Summer Skills Camp, Flashbulb Flashcards, cloud storage options, and more!
BrainFuse HelpNow is available to all for free through the State Library of Iowa. You can make a free account, or access many of the features even without creating an account. I selected my child’s grade level and subject area in which they needed help, and was connected instantly with a live, online tutor.
Khan Academy (online resource)
Khan Academy is a set of online tools that aid in education and allow students to master concepts at their own pace or receive extra instruction. The site offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a learning dashboard students can personalize across all grades and subject areas. Need some extra help learning a geometry concept? Khan Academy has a video that can help explain and guide you. Create a free account to access the resource.