Holiday ads are everywhere. I always thought it strange that the gifts advertised for women are ornamental — diamond necklaces, tennis bracelets . . . the gifts for guys are utilitarian — shavers, power tools (Although really, who doesn’t love a power tool?).
Men can be hard to shop for, especially if their answer, when you ask them what they want, is “I don’t know. Something that shows deep insight into me, and has a loving and sentimental touch.”
C’mon, can’t you just ask for warm gloves?
To help the readers shop for gifts for their husband/brother/father/etc., I surveyed my friends to find out what gifts have been a hit in the past.
Gifts for Guys
- Nice balsamic vinegar: you can find some at Harvest Oil & Vinegar
- Hot sauces/Barbecue sauce varieties: check Prairie Kitchen Store
- Beef jerky: Buds Custom Meats
- Locally crafted beers: such as those at Backpocket Brewing or other Iowa City area breweries
- Tickets to events: How about Coralville’s new hockey team, the Heartlanders?
- Axe throwing bar like Hatchet Jack’s
- Escape rooms: such as Cryptiq Escapes
Outdoor hanging out/cooking
- Firepit: for outdoor coziness
- Grills/grill accessories
- Meat thermometer
A few more gift ideas for guys:
Check out more great ideas from a past gift guide for Father’s Day. It’s sure to spark more ideas — including ways to shop locally in the Iowa City area.