Spring break is just around the corner! If you aren’t escaping to the beach or some other far-flung location, check out these great spring break activities in the Iowa City area — that are, of course, right here in our own backyard!
We are still in a pandemic. Please check about COVID-19 precautions that may be in place at these venues, and stay home if you or any of your family members are ill.
17 Spring Break Activities in the Iowa City Area
Who doesn’t love a day trip to a museum for learning and exploration? Iowa City is home to the Old Capitol and Natural History museums — but during spring break you may have time for a quick drive to visit some of the other fascinating museums in eastern Iowa.
- Old Capital Museum (Iowa City)
- Amana Heritage Museum (Main Amana)
- National Czech and Slovak Museum (Cedar Rapids)
- National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium (Dubuque)
- The Putnam Museum and Science Center (Davenport)
Sports and Active Play
If you live in the Iowa City area, it may be fun to bust out of your usual play routine and take a day trip to Burlington or Cedar Rapids for some fun. However, if you’re looking to stay local, Coral Ridge Mall is home to an indoor ice skating rink and the Iowa Children’s Museum. Check out our listing of indoor play places for more ideas!
- FunCity Resort (Burlington)
- ImOn Ice Arena Public Skate (Cedar Rapids)
- Hawkeye Spring Break Soccer Camp (Iowa City)
Art and Creative
Spring break is an excellent time to reinvigorate your creativity. Head to an art museum for inspiration or create your own artwork!
- Figge Art Museum (Dubuque)
- Brush and Barrel Drop off events (Coralville)
- Iowa Children’s Museum Spring Break Mini-Camps (Coralville)
- Iowa City Fab Lab Workshops (Iowa City)
Iowa City area and general eastern Iowa area is home to many beautiful state parks that are perfect for a hike, long walk, or picnic. Use your week to spend some time outdoors — weather permitting of course! Check out our list of hiking destinations with kids for more ideas.
- Backbone State Park
- Lake McBride State Park
- Palisades-Kepler State Park
- Ryerson’s Woods State Preserve
- Wildcat Den State Park
If you are looking for more of a full-day trip, check out our guide to easy Iowa road trips!
Whether you travel far or stay close to home, have a great spring break! We hope this list of spring break activities in the Iowa City area is helpful for you and your family.