I have one kid who is almost done with college, and another who is about to start, so it’s time for the fun activity of dorm room shopping.
It’s sort of like decorating the nursery, except the person who will be living in the dorm room actually has opinions on things. And also the parents won’t be living there.
I asked my oldest daughter, soon to be a college senior, what her younger sister really needs for her dorm room. Her answer:
- Surge protected power strip (this was the first thing she said)
- Trash can
- Shower caddy (to take shampoo, soap, etc. from room to bathroom)
- Shower shoes (like flip flops or knock-off crocs because “everyone uses those showers and everyone else’s feet are gross”)
- Mini fridge, this can often be rented from the college
- Chargers, although my daughters insist that no teenager would forget these
- A fan, because in spring and summer they don’t always turn the AC on, and not all dormitories are air conditioned
- Sheets and blankets, extra-long sheets with pockets are very handy
- Something to remind you of home, like a stuffed animal
- Art for the wall
- Photos of friends and pets
Our family also has a spare microwave, purchased for the dorm. My daughter didn’t need it last year, and I have loaned it to people three times. If I had a nickel for every time I’ve loaned someone a microwave, I’d have three nickels. Which isn’t a lot, but it’s weird that I’ve loaned out my microwave three times.
Happy dorm shopping!