Another beautiful weekend is approaching us. With mild temps, it is a perfect time to head out with the family and enjoy the festivities around the Corridor. Here are my top picks!
Saturday, December 12th
Sass Family Farms Christmas Open House 10-4pm. Come out and join us for some winter holiday fun that’s a good time for the entire family. We’ll have food, drinks and plenty of holiday cheer to help you ring in the Christmas season right. There’s no better way to celebrate a good old fashioned country Christmas than with your friends at Sass Family Farm.
Michael’s Kids Club Perler Santa Belt 10-12pm. They craft, you shop! Kids 3 and up can enjoy a quick project and take home a finished masterpiece. Sign up in store or online, or just drop in. Parents must remain on premises. **This event is recommended for older children as it is working with little pieces**
Santa Saturday 11:30-2:30pm. Santa will leave his busy workshop for five special trips downtown to meet the area’s good girls and boys. Families can enjoy peppermint treats and FREE photos with the jolly ol’ fella at Film Scene (118 E. College St.) from 11:30am-2:30pm.
Horse Draw Carriage Rides 11:30-2:30pm. There is no better way to take in the sights and sounds for the holiday season than a horse drawn carriage ride around downtown. Enjoy a whimsical ride while singing carols to the tune of antique sleigh bells, nestled in the enclosed comfort provided by Country Gentleman’s Horse and Carriage. Sponsored by Hills Bank and Trust Company from 11:30-2:30pm at their downtown location, the carriage rides are FREE, but the line starts early! **You must go inside Hills Bank to get a ticket!
Kids and Music Weekend. Visit the historic Amana Colonies on this weekend devoted to kids and music. Bring the kids and join in the fun!! On Saturday only, come see Santa’s live Reindeer in the Festhalle Barn! Live reindeer will be available from 1-5pm with Santa available from 10-5pm. See brochure for complete details.
Sunday, December 13th
Coralville’s Aisle of Lights 12-9pm. See how 30,000 white paper sacks, each filled with sand and a votive candle, create a magical scene on a winter evening! Miles of luminaries are available for viewing by foot or car. Coralville’s annual Aisle of Lights luminaire display began in 1980. Area businesses and organizations host a merry day of activities for all ages, and then participating residents and businesses light luminaries to burn in the evening. Discounted admission at the Antique Car Museum of Iowa (12-5pm)
- Christmas carol sing-a-long and refreshments at New Horizons United Methodist Church (2-4pm)
- Join The Iowa Children’s Museum for special activities celebrating the Festival of Lights, Diwali (2-5pm)
- Visit the Iowa River Landing for family fun and activities (2-5pm)
- Decorate cookies, make holiday postcards and crafts, and enjoy hot apple cider at the Johnson County Historical Society Museum (2-5pm)
- Get free admission to the Hawkeye Model Railroad Club (2-5pm)
- Dine in or carry out soup and dessert for a free will donation with proceeds supporting youth missions at Coralville United Methodist Church (4-6:30pm)
- Have free hot chocolate and cookies, get photos with Santa in an antique sleigh and listen to live music at the City Hall (5-7:30pm)
- Come for hot drinks, cookies, and games at The Big White House (5-8pm)
- See over 100 yard Santa’s, a life-size nativity, model trains, and animations and meet Santa, Mrs. Claus, and Mr. Elf at The Santa House (5-10pm)
- Take a free bus tour of the luminaries, departing from City Hall (5:15-8:15pm)
Have a wonderful weekend!